- Good Quality Beef Mince – around 800 g
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 uncooked italian sausages (optional)
- 1 Can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Tomato paste
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 large tub of Ricotta (or béchamel sauce)
- 1 packet of fresh lasagne sheets or 200 g of home made lasagne sheets
- 1/2 cup water
- A splash of chili/pepper sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Cups of tasty Cheese
- Parmesan to serve
- Cook off the onion in some olive oil. Add the garlic at the last minute, make sure neither of them burn
- Add the fennel seeds.
- Add the mince and sausage meat (squeeze out of their skins) and stir and pound with a wooden spoon to get all the lumps out, brown off slightly
- De-glaze with wine and cook for a few minutes, until that alcohol smell has gone.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, chili sauce and stir
- Season with salt and turn the heat down to low, allow to reduce until the sauce isn’t watery and quite thick.
- Spray your dish with cooking spray and add your first layer of lasagne pasta.
- Add a layer of meat, then lasagne, then ricotta or béchamel, sprinkle with cheese. Repeat these layers finishing with the ricotta and cheese layer.
- Bake in the middle of the oven on 175ºC for about 30 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan, on it’s own or with salad and bread.