Potato, Cabbage and Bacon Gratin
- 6 potatoes sliced
- 1 kumara sliced
- 150 g Bacon – sliced
- 200 g cabbage
- 3/4 c cream
- 3/4 milk
- 1 1/2 c cheese grated – I used tasty, but swiss, Gruyère, cheddar would be equally as nice
- Parmesan and breadcrumbs for on top
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- heat some oil in a pan and cook the bacon till golden brown.
- add the onion and garlic and cook till translucent
- add the cabbage and cook till wilted (about a minute)
- in a saucepan heat the milk, cream, nutmeg and bay leaves and heat till just boiling. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves. Add salt and pepper
- Slice the potatoes
- Grease a dish with butter or spray with cooking spray. Start layering the potatoes, cabbage mix and cheese. End with potatoes and remaining cheese.
- Pour milk and cream over the potatoes.
- Top with a sprinkle of parmesan and breadcrumbs
- Bake at 180ºC for approx. 45 minutes, or until the potatoes in the middle are tender.