Strawberry Shortcake, in a jarVery reminiscent of childhood treats
- Pound cake – I used the recipe from The Joy of Baking
- 1 punnet of strawberries, chopped into quarters
- 1/4 C caster sugar
- 2 TBL water
- 300 ml cream, whipped (sweetened with a little icing sugar)
- a splash of berry liqueur
- Cook the fruit, sugar, liqueur and water in a heavy bottomed saucepan, let it boil for no more than three minutes, set aside to cool
- Cut the cake into 1.5 cm slices and then cut circles, place in the bottom of the jar.
- Layer with the strawberries and cream. For the following layers of cake, just break chunks and arrange them around the jar. Keep layering and finish withe some strawberries. I saved same fresh ones of the top of mine, and garnished with a sprig of mint.
- Place in the fridge until ready to serve.