Poached MeringuesThese can be used as floating islands on top of sweet soups, custards or on top of cocktails Makes enough
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 C castor sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t white vinegar
- 1 1/2 t cornflour
- Milk or water for poaching
- Beat egg whites till thy form soft peeks
- rain in the sugar and beat till stiff
- add vanilla, vinegar and corn flour and beat
- in the mean time fill a pot with water or milk so the meringues will sit well off the bottom of the pot when placed in (if you are using milk you can use this afterwards to make a beautiful custard. The texture and taste of the meringue will be creamier if you use milk).
- When the liquid starts to simmer, turn the heat down, gently spoon meringues into the poaching liquid and cook for three minutes. Gently turn the meringues over and cook for another two minutes. (if you are only wanting to cook the meringues on one side, leave them in for five minutes)
- Remove gently and place on some grease proof paper. Chill until needed.