My Basic PavlovaI have made hundreds of Pavs over the years, and have been successful more often than not. The key to a good Pav, is to beat beat beat, use week old eggs, rain the sugar in, and for goodness sake, be patient. Then, stack it high, and watch it fly!
- 6 egg whites
- 1 c castor sugar
- 3 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract with seeds
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Preheat an oven to 120ºC, line a baking tray with baking paper, set aside.
- Beat egg whites until very thick
- Rain in the sugar, and continue to beat
- add the corn flour and continue beating. add the vinegar and the vanilla. Make sure the mixture is very stiff
- stack the mixture (quite high) in the middle of the baking tray (remembering that this isn’t going to rise. I normally make mine quite high as I like it thick and mashmallowy.
- bake in the oven for about 20 minutes , or until slightly pink on the outside. If you like your pav crunchy on the outside, here is where you would turn your oven off and leave the pav in there to dry out. I however like mine soft on the outside, so I generally take mine out after about 5 minutes.
Top with whipped cream and anything else you fancy.