This is fool-proof and makes 8 servings of the perfect Pana Cotta every time
- 4 cups (1l) cream (whipping cream or heavy cream for those non-kiwis)
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 1/2 teaspoons
- 6 tablespoons (90ml) cold water
- Decide how you are going to serve your Pana Cotta. If you are going to tip it out, grease your moulds with a light tasting oil. You don’t need to grease anything if you are serving them in the glass.
- Heat the Cream and sugar in a heavy bottomed bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Don’t let it boil or burn. Add the vanilla.
- Place the water into a tall Pyrex jug and sprinkle the gelatin over the top, let it sit for a good 5-10 minutes – I left mine about 10 minutes.
- Pour the heated Pana Cotta Mixture over the gelatin mix and stir until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour into moulds and then place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm. I found 4 hours was better.
- If you need to un-mould your pana cotta, run a knife around the edge carefully, and then turn out.
- Serve with Honey, and/or fruit over the top. I topped mine with Maple Syrup and Mixed Berries.