Fresh tomatoes: cut a small cross on the top of each tomato, place in large bowl, cover with boiling water, leave for a minute. Drain and rinse with cold water, peel off skins.
Tinned tomatoes: drain off juice and set aside.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes; finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Place the tomatoes, onions, garlic, sugar, vinegar and salt in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce to a medium heat and gently cook for 15-20 mins.
- Mix the curry powder, mustard and cornflour with the extra vinegar to a smooth paste, stir into the tomatoes and cook until thickened.
- Spoon into warm, sterilised jars and seal. Refrigerate once opened.
- Makes: 1 large 500ml jar.
Tip: Goes well with cheese, cold sliced meats, burgers, sausages or steak. Serve with frittata or add to wraps and sandwiches. If using tinned tomatoes, save the discarded juice to use in pasta sauces, casseroles and soups.