- 4 tsp Active Dried Yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 3/4 c + 1 Tbl warm water
- 90gm melted butter
- 1 egg
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup mixed fruit (I use sultanas, peel and currants)
- 1 1/2 Tbl each of mixed spice and cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the crosses
- 2 heaped dessert spoons of flour
- enough water to make a thick paste (approx. 1/4 cup)
For the glaze
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 c hot water
- Place all ingredients into the bread maker and set on dough cycle (or mix together and then knead for 10 minutes. Then cover and leave in a warm place to rest for 30 minutes)
- Cut dough into 16 pieces (or less if you want bigger buns), and place in a cake tin or on a tray, Leave to rise in a warm place for a few hours or over night until almost doubled in size
- mix Flour and water together to make paste for crosses. Pour into a small plastic bag, cut the corner off and pipe onto the buns
- Bake in an oven at 180° for 15 – 20 minutes. They should be brown, you know if they are done, if you tap the middle they should sound hollow.
- Remove from oven, quickly make the glaze and brush on top.
- Set aside for a few minutes to cool slightly, and then devour with butter!